Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Audacity of Resolutions

I love making resolutions.  I think and plan and plan and think some more and then......

Yeah... it kinda ends there.

I have an admission to make.  I live a lot in fear.  Fear of failing.  Fear of looking like a fool.  Fear of going to see a movie on the day it opens...more on that later.

It has really bothered me for a while that I do this and live like this.  I decided to try something new this year for making resolutions.

I wrote down my resolutions and told someone else about them.  My husband.

In addition to that, I also picked a word.  A word for 2012.  This is not a new concept and it is not one that I thought of.  This clever lady is really the one that started it.   She even teaches a class about it that I am going to take.

For the past couple of years,  I have chosen a word for myself and kept it hidden in my head.  But, this year, I have decided to share my word.

According to Ali Edwards (the clever lady) the word is something that should be what you want for yourself for that year.  A path you want to take.  Something to keep you focused.  My word actually came to me  pretty easily.  A first, I was afraid of the word I kept thinking about, because it wasn't really cool or hip like LIVE or INSPIRE or CHOCOLATE.  So, I sat with my word for several days and now it makes more sense than I could have imagined.

2011 was a good year, but a hard one.  There were many changes and frankly it was hard on my body, mind and soul.  We were relatively healthy and happy, but with a new job, life was hectic and crazy.  I have felt that  who I am in the whole shuffle.

I want to do something about that and bring ME back.

The word I have chosen is.....REPAIR.

For 2012, I want to use this word as my focus.  To work on areas of my life and keep REPAIR as the centerpiece.

Now don't get me wrong.  Life is good.  But I need to do some work on it.  And I need to be honest with myself about what I need and what my family needs.  And I need to stop letting fear dictate what I do and decide.  I need to go see a movie on the day it opens. I hate crowds and I never wanted to be disappointed if I didn't get tickets.  So, I just don't even try.  Time to change that.  

I smell future blog posts.....

1 comment:

Patrick Drohan said...

Here, here. Well said, and frankly Chuchill couldn't have said it better. Carpe Diem!