So, I have been thinking a lot about potential. Not the potential of doing well in school or the potential of it raining tomorrow, but the potential of relationships and what happens when that potential fails. We read the book The Glass Castle in book club and for anyone who has read it.....its hard. Not in a literature, Shakespeare, English class hard way. But the material is hard to read about. Neglect, abuse, alcoholism, molestation.....it is not a book for the beach. In this book the parents have LOTS of problems and in the end, I was left to wonder about the loss of potenial. The potenial of the parents and the kids to have more. More of a relationship and more a life that didn't leave the scars that it did on the kids. Do we always give everything and take everything we can from a relationship to bring it to its true potential or does something hinder us. My father in no way neglected me or abused me, but he was not the most present father. I can't compare this book to my relationship to my father's and my relationship, but in reading this book and thinking about potential, it made me think...What could the potential have been and what would have been in place for that relationship to reach its full potential? I think it is truly one of the saddest things to look on a life and realize that a potential was not fully met. I realize that I am upping the depression quotient on this post, but I think that one of the reasons why I have not posted as much, is that what I think about a lot these days is my dad and I am not always so sure that I want to write about the sad stuff. But that is often what is there.
Something I don't want to lose......remembering Sam kissing the back of my hand and telling "Yes your majesty", whenever I ask him to do anything. Good Stuff maynord!
No comments:
Post a Comment