Thursday, May 7, 2009

I am a runner

It is one of those things that I never thought I could do. I ran track in junior high and I remember being on those long runs and thinking that it just sucked! I have known people who have ran marathons and I have always admired them thinking that running was the hardest thing in the world. It was something that I didn't want to do and more importantly that I couldn't do. But I decided to change things up in my workout and so I challenged myself to see if I could run for just five minutes in the middle of my treadmill walk. And I ran for ten minutes! Holy Moley! And tonight I ran for 15 minutes! And I felt high after I got off. I have never used drugs, but I image that it must be like using drugs. I was so energetic and happy and felt all geared up to post at 10:56 at night! Giddy up!

So mantra wise....the past couple of days have been about clothes. Couple of days ago it was that now, I can ask for clothes for Christmas. Something I have always wanted to do, but never felt like I should since "someday I will lost the weight". Another day was about Disney. We are hoping to go in December. I kept telling myself that I could eat and enjoy myself without guilt and know that I could do it responsibly. Now I am at 6.6 pounds. Only 48.2 pounds left. Yeah ,not liking that last number.

A big pat on the back for me. Why you might ask? Guess who finished Middlesex? Yes, people I did it! So, conclusion? Overall? I liked it. Go ahead..throw the puzzled looks my way. I know , I know. I had a hard time with the first 300 pages. But I decided to stay with it because it was a book club book and I have already talked about my thoughts on finishing book club books. Plus, I really wanted to find out what happened to the person in the book. I say person because, the main character is a hermaphrodite. The first 300 pages were all about her family history and how her genes ended up being passed down to her. The last 200+ pages were about her experience with being a hermaphrodite. I really do like books that are somewhat epic in nature and show a family, community, nation over a period over time and this book did that. I liked that Calliope didn't always take the easy road. So, it is worth reading? Sure....just keep going.

So, what book am I onto next. Two nights ago, I had to GET OUT. Long week. So where did I head after hubby got home? The Library (and Joanne fabrics). I have written about how much I love a library, but I must describe it again. It has a numbing effect on me. Makes me breath slower (until I discover that one book I wanted is THERE-ahh pure bliss). It was Philipa Gregory's latest novel, The Other Queen this time. It looks so nice sitting on my night stand. Okay, back tot he library. Then I move on down my list and discover...NO, NO, NO! The latest Charlene Harris book is out. Okay, have to move on before I cry. Start looking to see if People of the Book is in (thanks for the recommendation Heather!). Okay, won't go there. I have now started to cry and must move on before the Amish girl standing besides me starts to wonder. Next on the list? Wally Lamb. She's Come Undone. Better be there or else we might have a full on acted out version of the title right before our very eyes in the fiction aisle! Saved! It is finally in. Breathing has returned to normal. Now I must go and ask the help desk a computer question about my online list and an annoying thing it is doing. That is the basis of my computer knowledge. It is doing an annoying thing. They are of NO help, but the help desk redeems its self by what I call a HMMM find. What is a HMMM find you might ask? You know the kind where you are not looking for a book. In fact you have probably never heard of it. But you are perusing the shelves and the librarians play designer and place books on the top of the shelves to Entice you. I see this one and it just looks interesting. Maybe the title perhaps? Not sure, but I am being pulled in by its magnetic beam. Hand reaches out. Grabs the book. Turns it over. "Fabulous story!" "Told like nothing I have ever read before!" "Story that will melt you heart". blah, blah blah. But I find myself going ......"HMMMM". Decide to read inside of the jacket. This means you are committing part of yourself. You may/or may not take this book. This is a crucial point. It could be bad. in fact, it could be REALLY bad. OR......it could be life altering. Okay! We'll take it. It is called Remember the Sweet Things. One list, two lives and twenty years of marriage. Okay, okay so it sounds sappy and slightly overblown, but it just sounded intriguing. What is up with the list thing? That is what got me. I will just have to let you know later. So, I stand in line and wait to check out. By the way....why do librarians always look so ...so....mean? or unhappy? or serious? I have never put my finger on it, but they scare me a little bit. So, it is my turn and guess what? I was so happy with my finds that I didn't even flinch when I find out I owed a $5.83 fine. But now I have to find some kids book about a mouse, though. Will keep you updated!

Okay, it is time for bed.

1 comment:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Ah, the library ... what a wonderful place to be! Not sure if you do audio books but I have People of the Book on CD. If you want, I can send it to you to borrow for a while.

And about mouse books - Kiddo is in love with the mouse in George and the Dragon, and George and the Dragon and the Princess. They books are geared more for Kindergarten but he loves them anyway ... a LOT.

(and congrats on the weight loss - you're doing great!)