Sunday, May 20, 2012

Book Report: Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

Author: Jamie Ford

Pages: 290

What it is about:  A twelve year old Chinese boy named Henry who lives in Seattle during WWII who meets a Japanese girl named Keiko whose family is eventually shipped off to one of the Japanese Labor Camps.

What I thought about this book: WWII is one of those subjects that I seem to read a great deal about.  WWII was such a major world event and there are MILLIONS of stories to be told.  All of them interesting and as I read more and more about WWII, the large story of that time just seems to broaden and almost become overwhelming.  This is a very touching story of the struggles of how two cultures interact with each other and how two children overcame obstacles set up by society.

Cool thing I learned: There were Girl Scout troops in the Japanese Labor Camps

Something I loved:  The relationship between Sheldon, the African American sax player and Henry and how it carries on through the years.

Who would like this book:  Anyone who likes history, especially WWII.  Anyone who likes a good love story.

No comments: