Sunday, November 8, 2009

Moment to remember... What is it?

Anyone reading this blog probably knows or has gathered that Sam has had his own little set of struggles. He was diagnosed with a mild form of autism, PDD_NOS, several years ago. He mainly struggles in the area of speech and so around these parts we celebrate the smallest of achievements when it comes to progress in Sam's speech. And yesterday morning was one such moment. Sam had slept in our room on our aero bed due to him still recovering from the flu. As he was getting up I called over to him and asked him to come get into bed with me so I could slather him in birthday kisses. He is a boy and he was thinking with his stomach, so he didn't want to come over. but wanted to go get breakfast. With an annoyed sigh he say," What is it MOM?" Now in the BIG PICTURE this is not a big deal, but in this little house this was pretty cool. He had been appropriate in his response, he had used his connecting words ---"is" and "it"--- and he had said a full sentence. Now he had said it with an attitude and attitude does not sit well in our home. But I was so excited that instead of being upset, I actually turned to my husband and said in an excited voice, "Hon, did you hear that!" Music to our ears!

No comments: