Since my father has passed away a number of things have become very clear to me. How important your health is, how much your family means to you and also how wonderful good true friends are. My father had so many people that you could classify as his friends show up to pay their respects at his funerals. After he died I started thinking what would I like to be able to look back on at the end of my life. Having meaningful relationships at the end of my life was one of the big ones. So, I have slowly been trying to work on that and do more with my friends. Last night I met for dinner with a friend Jen, who lost her father a couple of years ago and as been a HUGE help through all of this. At the end of the dinner she gave me a present, which I opened up at home. It was a willow creek statue that was a symbol of strength and peace. I have it on my dresser and have been looking at it all day and thinking about what it represents to me. Moving along in life after a loved one dies is so hard, but knowing that there are people who silently walk along with you is so comforting! Thanks Jen!
This morning, I had another "friend" momemt. I went for a walk and to vote. Along the way my friend Kristen pulled up and asked if I was voting. I met her at the polling place and we stood in line together. Kristen and i have developed a pretty strong friendship over the past four years and I realized today, how strong and nice it has become. Why you might ask? Well, she and I are on polar opposites of the political spectrum. Won't get into political beliefs at the moment, but we stood there in line, full well knowing that the other was voting in the complete opposite and it didn't even affect the conversation or the feel of moment. We laughed, talked about our kids school and about the concert we are going to together. And even if the subject had come up, it would have been dealt with with humor ( and a few claw marks---JUST KIDDING!).
So here is to good friends! Now for some Halloween goodness!
Tigers, spiders, and boobophet oh my! Shiloh- I know I spelled the Star Wars dudes name wrong! Leave me alone!
And happy Halloween to you too, Daniel, mister bad mood Dadio!


1 comment:
Glad to hear that you have good friends that are joining you along this path and supporting you... Here's to good friends!
Also, here's to being able to be friends with people who don't agree with us politically. I also have one of those - one of my co-workers is the polar opposite of me, and I can't tell you how many invigorating and often heated... "discussions"... we have had in the past several years. It's fun! :)
And lastly - your kids are so cute in their costumes! Looks like it was a fun Halloween...
Post a Comment