THE HISTORIAN by Elizabeth Kotsova
What is it about? I am not great with summaries. In one sentence...It is a treasure hunt for Count Dracula.
Did I like it? I received this book from a family friend who i had recommend Twilight to. he (yes I said he...he is the only guy I have met who has read twilight and loved all the books!) he loved this book so much i have to return it to him. I have requested this book from paperback swap and will hopefully be receiving it soon because it will be going on the PS. I could stop there and you would know that I loved it, but this book combined so many things that I love that I must go on for a bit about it below in my next question. Please do indulge me! I LOVED THIS BOOK!
Why did I love this book? This book combines history, romance, and suspense in a way that left me on turning page after page and not even realizing how far I had read. This book is 909 page long and I read 600 of them in about 24 hours. Granted I was stuck in a car coming home from Florida, but still.....
Ms. Kostova writes in a way that slowly pulls someone in. I love how she flips back and forth from one time to another. It truly adds intrigue to the story and kept me guessing as to what was going to happen next. She adds characters very well to the story. There were a number of characters that I became fond of including Professor Rossi and Helen. The use of history and locations in the book is really quite wonderful as well. Sometimes history can be a bit dry in novels and come off sounding boring, but it just added more juice to the story. And the last 30 pages were just wonderful. I hate getting to the end of great book and the ending just falls flat. Not here.
SPOILER ALERT...... I also love how she portrays Count Dracula. I love Twilight, but it was really refreshing to have a bit of a not so romanticized vampire. He was very majestic, but oh so evil!
Would I recommend this book to a friend? With out any hesitation, whatsoever. In fact I already have and she has informed that she loves it. The only negative item I have heard came from my mother. She read it and and said it was very good, but wasn't literature. Literature, smitature! It rocked people!
1 comment:
I read Dracula a while back and loved it so I'm really excited to read this book. In fact, it is already on my shelf and I've got it on my reading list for 2010. If you are not in a rush, I can just send you my copy to keep once I finish reading it (just remind me of that when I eventually post my review on my blog!).
Post a Comment