Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Dewey the Library Cat

It is raining here and I am in a funk today with nothing inspiring me to write about and I had reached the end of my planned out blog posts, so whats a girl to do. Besides grab a pint of Ben and Jerry's and slather it in caramel syrup....write about the book i finished today! I know....two books in two days?! Well, actually I had read most of this book several weeks ago, but in my funk I finished it today. This book came to me from several women in my bible study who raved over it and how special it was.

Dewey the Library Cat by Vicki Myron

Did I like it? mmmmm....Yes. No. Maybe so. Explanation: I. Don't. Like. Cats. Period. They are too opinionated and can turn on you in a second. Don't get me wrong. I have lots of friends and family members who have cats and I admire the love. I get that they fill something in people and are members of the family. I just like my pets to adore me unconditionally, not sink their claws into me without a moments warning and not vomit hair. I am a dog person. So reading a story all about a cat is weird for me and I got bored during the parts that discussed the cats daily habits and all of his little quirks and nuances. HOWEVER, it was an interesting story about a library, a librarian, a cat and all the people that were affected by the cat. There was a very nice progression in the story and it moved along nicely. I especially liked how the author ( the librarian) told parts of her own life. In the end it was a well balanced story.

My favorite character: BIG SHOCK here....Dewey the cat. Lots of personality!

Least favorite character: no one

What I got out of this book: *Clique warning* Love is an amazing thing that can heal many things.

I have mentioned that my brain picks quotes out of books and holds onto them. Through this whole book I struggled to think "What I am going to get out of this book?". Then on the last page, this summed up the book and was "the" quote. It was from the librarian and was about what the Dewey had taught her.

"Find your place. Be happy with what you have. Treat everyone well. Live a good life. It isn't about material things, its about love. And you can never anticipate love."

A good book. Glad I read it. Not as amazing as several people had led me to believe. BUT, I appreciate cats, a bit more now. Just a bit.

No comments: