Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Here we go

For a couple of weeks now I have been toying with the idea of sharing some really personal stuff on this blog. No...not my bra size and my insatiable appetite for People magazine. My writing. See I had this very special moment last year at my father's funeral that led to a realization. I can write. Literature? No, not really. Just some stuff that a couple of people have said sounds good and I am somewhat proud of. It all came from the eulogy that I wrote for my dad.


So... I have pondered the idea of sharing some of that here on this blog. With the three people who read this blog.


And the stuff I am going to share is about my dad. What prompted the final decision to do this? I just finished reading the book Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. And , yes, for those of you who are keeping track, that is the third book I have finished in as many days. I am on a bit of a tear. Plus, I posted Firefly Lane on paperback swap and I need to get the sucker mailed here in the next day.


However, I have decided to really not give an in depth review of the book. Why, oh why not?! Because this is my blog and I will not review if i don't want to. Actually, the real reason is that this book just hit SO close to my heart. It is a good book, full of chick love, and some great walks down memory lane, but I cried through the last eighty pages. I actually had to stop at times and just cry. SPOILER ALERT. Someone dies of Cancer.


There are conversations in this book like I had had with my dad. Thoughts I had had. Emotions I had and still have. It was real and at times it broke my heart. I am crying right now as I write this. And I am a hold it in kind of girl from a long line of hold it in English people who don't show a lot of emotion.


I finished this book and knew that I needed to put some of those memories and writings that I have been working on, out into another place. It may not be everyday that I post them, but I now know that I feel confidant enough to do so, even if it is just to put them out for me and the memory of my dad.

2 comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I, for one, look forward to reading whatever you write. More so if it is about your dad since I never got to meet him. Chris loved him very much and always speaks highly of him, but I love getting to know him through your posts as well.

Funny that you just read Firefly Lane. I had a copy (unread) that I just shipped out through PBS on Monday - it wasn't really my find of book, but it seems to have struck exactly the right cord for you.

go heartland said...

Alex,
I enjoy reading all you write also. Glad you realized you are good at it!
Samantha