Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Friday Night Knitting Club

As I have been posting more often and doing a lot of thinking about the purposes of this blog, I have realized that one of the things that holds me back at times is that I would put a blog together and list stuff. Such as my weight issues, a moment to remember and the books I was reading at the time. I wasn't liking that, so I am evolving.....sort of. I am working on my blog posts being more focused and just discussing one subject. And I have been planning out my posts in advance. Helps the brain jump in more readily when it come to actually sitting down and writing it out.

So today's post.....A book.

Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs.

I am not a good book reviewer, so here is how I am going to play this game. Couple of questions, I answer them and we call it a day. My real purpose for writing about the books I read is that I want to remember the books I read, my impressions of the book, and anything MAJOR that I took away from the book. Here we go....

Description of the book (in one sentence): Taking this one from the cover of the book and it is from USA Today-I believe. "Steel Magnolias set in NYC". A good description in my estimation.

Did I like the book? Yes

Favorite character: Scottish Granny because she was what I hope to be in my old age. Kind, loving, firm, still full of spirit, and loves her family with ferocity.

Least favorite character: Cat's husband. A very minor character, but a Total jerk that should have been hung out to dry

What did I get from this book? I often find quotes in books that my mind holds onto and I can apply to my own life and I got THREE from this book.

"Stress is not about the situation...it's about the person. There's some who can handle it and there's some who can't." -Gran

"....it's better to loosen up as you go or you risk turning brittle." -Gran

"Sometimes people just don't get things right...People sometimes don't do the right thing....then you are left deciding how you are going to react to what they offer. Because you can't make them change." -Gran

It is no surprise that all of these came from my favorite character!

What I didn't like: Somewhat predictable ending and I felt that it kind of made it easy to tie up all the ends.

Overall thought on the book: Well written, interesting, liked the different women and their separate stories and how they all connected. Would recommend as a good beach book.

No comments: