Monday, May 31, 2010

Cleaning off the bookshelf Dare: People of the Book

I have completed the first book of the "Cleaning off the Bookshelf" Dare.  The book that was chosen by all of you was People of Book by Geraldine Brooks.  As some of you know, reviewing books is not my thing and I often do it using the fill in the blank approach:

What is the book about?  The story of a rare book and how it came into existence.  Told from the point of view from several key people who either had a part in making the book or came into contact with the book. 

Did I like the book?  Very much so.  The author tells the story from the present and works backward toward the creation of the book in the 14th century.  Somewhat of a treasure hunt in that you are never quite sure what is going to happen next.  I truly loved hearing about how the book came to be and the life stories of those who were part of its history.

What didn't I like? Not a whole lot. In the end, the main character Hanna does something that irked me concerning someone who did her wrong and I really was not in agreement with her decision to continue the relationship.  Anyone else who has read the book .......what did you think about this?

Would I recommend this book to someone?  To a history, treasure hunt loving, book reader, yes.

AND now for the big news.....I am giving away my copy of this book, cause the whole point of this dare was to clean off the bookshelf, remember! 

So, how do you win this book?  Just leave me a comment on my blog between now and this Thursday, June 3rd.  And then I will draw a name out of a hat.  

AND, the next book in the dare?  Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show by Frank Delaney. 

No comments: