Today has been a long time coming. This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for YEARS screaming at me to read it. I am glad that I finally did.
What is the book about? Four women from China who become friends and form a group called "The Joy Luck Club", where they eat,talk about their lives, and play mah jong. One of the members dies and her daughter steps up into her place at the mah jong table. And the stories begin. The stories are told from the points of view of the the four moms and their four daughters.
Did I like this book? Loved it. I have always enjoyed stories about China and Japan such as Snow Flower and the Secret Fan or The Last Geisha and this one did not disappoint. I have never been to the Far East, but find it fascinating. I live in a very "white bread" world and often am intrigued about other places, people and what makes the world go round. This story painted such an interesting picture of another world and those that lived in it. From the food they eat, traditions they share, the beliefs they hold. I loved how the relationships twisted and twined in and among each other. The stories are heartbreaking and hopeful all at the same time.
What didn't I like about this book? Hmmmm....I really can't think of anything. As usual, there were some characters that really pissed me off, such as the husband who split EVERYTHING financially down the middle. I get that some couples choose to handle their finances this way, but this is not the way I view marriage.I just cringed the whole chapter that this guy came into the picture and was screaming at the daughter the whole time to leave the dude. But that had nothing to do with the style of the book.
Would I recommend this book to someone? To me this is the kind of book that if someone is a "Reader", they would want to include it on their "To be Read" list. So, go on....pick it up if you haven't already!
CHANGE TO THE DARE: I have decided to not give away any of the books after I am done with them. Why? I have only gotten one comment so far.
So...I am going to be posting them on paperback swap. If you live under a big boulder and have not heard of paperback swap, I HIGHLY recommend that you swing on by. Cool little place.
No comments:
Post a Comment