Friday, June 4, 2010

Cleaning off the Bookshelf Dare: Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show

Ever read a book that pissed you off?  I have and with this book, Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show, I can add another one to that list.  But before I get to much into what pissed me off, let me do this the right way.

What was this book about? The story take place in Ireland in the early part of the 19th century and deals with a family whose father has run off to join a traveling show.  The son begins the arduous task of trying to bring his father back home and all kinds of mayhem and mystery ensues.

Did I like this book? With my opening statement, I am sure that most of you would say, "Probably not".  However, that would not be entirely true.  I actually liked this book and was very intrigued with it.  The author kept things interesting and there was a great deal of mystery and suspense as to the next step that the plot was going to take.  Many of the characters were well developed throughout the story and I often found myself thinking that this would make a good movie. And I really liked the ending.  Everything wasn't cleaned up entirely and left a bit to the imagination.  A very real ending...

What didn't I like about this book? Ahhh.....now to a expand on the beginning statement.  There were many people in this book who I didn't like.  I often find myself not liking one or two characters in a book, but I am sitting here counting and have already come up with at least six people I didn't like and pissed me off.  Lots of selfish, self absorbed, yucky people in this book. However, I think this is a good thing.  Books whose characters bring out emotions in me, are ones that I often enjoy. I just would also like to have had a word or two with a couple of the people int his book.  I also found this book to be a bit "wordy".  Overly descriptive.  The book could have lost 10-20 pages in descriptions and stuff that I didn't think was necessary.

Would I recommend this book? Hmmmmm.........yes, but I think that someone would have to be somewhat interested in Irish politics and that time period to find this book worthwhile and interesting.

And since this book was one for my "Cleaning off the bookshelf" dare, it is time to pass it on.  So, leave a comment on this here blog by next Thursday (June 10th) and I will pull a name out of a hat and find a lucky soul to pass this book onto......

2 comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

There were definitely some unlikable characters in this book but I'm glad you enjoyed it anyway!

Cindy said...

Hi Alex, just wanted to write in and say that I'm impressed with all your new challenges/dares -- especially the no-TV one! Good luck with keeping up with all of your proejcts!
--Cindy