Pine wood Derby was yesterday and unfortunately the Dadio family did not do so well. Stephen's American Flag car came in some where in the forties and Sam's Pirate ship car came in the early fifties. Oh well...it was nice morning even though i spent most of just following Daniel around a fire truck---the race was held in the local firehouse. I then spent the rest of the day hanging out, watching treasure hunters--great show on the Travel Channel and going to Dairy Queen for ice cream for everyone. AND I am working on a great book -I Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. It is about a man whose wife was in the library at Columbine High during the massacre and the events that unfold after and how it effects their lives. That is a REALLY short synopsis because this sucker is 1100 pages long (in the large print version)! But is is really interesting and has grabbed me. It goes places that you wouldn't guess and has really made me think a lot about the choices that we make and how they effect all those around us. The decision that those two boys made have affected some many lives which is a kind of DUH statement to make because that is obvious. However what struck me was how after the media left and "we" all left, all those people's lives carried on having to carry this baggage every minute of every day and how that affected them and their families. Did you know that there is someone who carries on a website to this day that gives updates on all things columbine? It has also made me think a lot about the flip side of the pain---those boys families and how their lives have carried on since this happened. A great book and well worth the read!
I had mentioned in a earlier post that I was reading a book called The Stranger. I have abandoned it. I can't give a reason other than that it was dull as rocks. Sadly, its author Albert Camus received a Nobel Peace Prized for Literature. Don't get it. Oh well...on to the next book!
1 comment:
Alex, your readers miss you! Why have you foresaken us? :) It's okay that you missed all of February - we'll still forgive you! Just come back to us.... Hope all is well with you and your family!
Post a Comment